Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The cultural and political battle.

Before I dive into research and information, I want to first give a background of myself, how I became involved and interested in the field.

I am a third generation Sicilian, only by 1/4 now because my mom has Germanic roots as well as my paternal grandmother. I have always been raised as an American and knew nothing about other cultures other than my own. Later, in high school, I met my current girlfriend. I quickly learned she was not of the same culture. She in fact had only been living in American for less than 10 years. Her parents and her little brother relocated to America for the "American dream" and better employment as well as educational opportunities.

Soon I quickly become mesmerized at what a different life they live inside and outside of the home. Besides their culture, I also learned they do not speak Italian, they speak Sicilian. There is quite a difference if you did not already know. This is not the same as I speak American but he speaks English.

This is exactly what this blog will focus on. The purpose of my research was to discover why Sicilian, being so different than Italian, is defined as a dialect and not a language. The reason: an ongoing political and cultural battle within its own boundaries. I will uncover the reasons why Sicilian is defined as a dialect, how it is struggling to hold on, what is the cause of it's near death, and how is technology keeping what is left of Sicilian alive.

I am going to have to give background information and define some terms such as dialect, language, and give structural differences and characteristics of Sicilian as well as Italian. Later, through my own experiences and with the aid of those who I was able to talk to over the internet, I will discuss what is going on right now and what people predict for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment